With the change of season, this week’s blog is about a couple of healthy food ideas to help get you inspired.
I find that as the seasons change, my food inclinations naturally shift and I need to switch it up to stay healthy.
Today’s recipe is more of a summer dish – but it has enough weight to it to eat it until the temperature really drops.
I eat it with some rice or crusty bread when I want it to have a little more substance to it.
2 firm green mangoes (the harder and greener the better)
1/4 cup shredded dry unsweetened coconut (You can use sweetened if you can’t find unsweetened)
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro for the Aussies), chopped
3 spring onions, sliced
Handful of cashews or unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
1/3 cup fresh basil
(Optional extra: 1 cup of fried cubed tofu (or chicken if you’re that way inclined))
3 Tabs of fish sauce (can use soy sauce instead if you’re vegetarian)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tabs brown sugar
2 tsp Thai chili sauce (also known as sweet chili sauce)
How to prepare:
1. Make the dressing first by mixing the fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and sweet chili sauce together
2. Dry toast the coconut in a pan until it is golden brown – put aside
3. Peel the skin from the mangoes and grate or slice thinly
4. Toss the mango, bean sprouts, coriander, basil and half the coconut together (and optional protein)
5. Dress the salad and adjust the dressing to taste
6. Garnish the salad with the nuts and remaining coconut on top
7. Serve ! This salad will serve 4 people